The Power To Create - Part 2 : Create For Yourself
In ‘The Power To Create - Part 1’, I wrote about the importance of creating for others and 3 simple points on how you can create a positive state in others right away. Though it may seem like something simple to do, the challenge here for some is first adopting the mindset that they want to create for others. The key here is the mindset.
Of all the wonders in the world today, none stands greater than the power of the human mind. It is the reason why people have devoted centuries trying to understand how it works and to discover it’s fullest potential. Though we haven't uncovered what the mind is entirely capable of doing, we do know this for sure, the mind is the source for everything else that follows. Lao Tzu, a famous philosopher and poet of ancient China, once quoted:
“Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”
There is much wisdom in this saying. Having the right thoughts will eventually shape your destiny. The mindset that you choose embrace, the thoughts that you choose to adopt & the beliefs that you choose to instil will set path for the success of tomorrow.
The law of attraction states that we attract our results, whether positive or negative. In other words, we attract what we project, and our projections are a combination of both conscious and unconscious thoughts and behaviors.
Here are 3 simple points on creating for yourself from the inside out:
1. Embrace a Mindset Of Excellence
- I’m sure that there has been times where you know of someone that is experiencing a challenging situation and is saying things like “That’s life and there’s nothing I can do about it.”, or a disheartened “What to do?”, or even a demoralized “No choice!”. Hey, there may have been times where you were the one uttering these words. Know this, allowing yourself to succumb to a situation is by itself making the choice to do nothing about it.
- A mindset of excellence is to know that in any given situation or circumstances, good or bad, you have the choice to take action to make things better. While you may not be able to have full control over external factors such as the actions and behaviors of another, or environmental forces that may affect you; you do however have control over yourself and how to react positively to improve your position and situation. The next time you’re hit with a challenging situation, a situation where you catch yourself choosing to succumb to the circumstances, a situation where you realize that you have chose to do nothing - Embrace a Mindset Of Excellence by asking yourself these 3 simple questions:
- What must I do to improve this situation?
- Who must I consult to ensure a positive outcome?
- When will I start doing all this?
- Making it a habit to ask and answer these 3 questions and it will get you into the habit of achieving more.
2. Clean Up Your Self Talk
- We all go through a process of internal dialogues within ourselves. For those that are wondering right now if you do this, you are already engaging in self talk. Self talk is your inner voice, the voice in your mind which says the things that you don’t necessarily say out loud. Self-talk often happens unconsciously, without you even realising it. What you say in your mind will determine how you feel and what you project. It can often become a self fulfilling prophecy, hence it is important to engage in positive self talk.
- To engage in positive self talk:
- Listen and monitor what you say to yourself - practice paying attention to what you’re saying to yourself. Notice if you tend to be more positive or negative.
- As and when you catch yourself engaging in negative self talk, reframe it to something positive immediately.
- Look for the good in every situation.
- Replay positive moments.
3. Adopt a Positive Belief System
- A belief is an opinion or conviction thought to be absolutely true. It is a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed on something. The problem sometimes is that beliefs can be formed based on negative perceptions and experiences. These negative beliefs are also known as limiting beliefs.
- A limiting belief stops you from breaking through your own barriers to be better and to achieve more. Some examples of limiting beliefs are phrases like “I am not good enough.”, “I can never make more money.”, “I will never find love again.”, “My peers/colleagues/boss will never like me.” and “It is out of my reach.”. These are just some examples and I’m sure that by now you get it that the list can go on and on. Bottom line is that having these beliefs will only lead to inaction and hence stopping you from elevating yourself to greater heights.
- In order to liberate yourself, adopt a positive belief system by doing the following:
- Take a piece of paper or pocket notebook, and write down as many positive affirmations as you can. Google for positive affirmations and you will find hundreds of thousands of them. Pick the ones that are directly related to elevating yourself for now.
- Read this affirmations to yourself first thing in the morning.
- Keep these affirmations close to you, preferably somewhere thats within your reach and sight, and refer to them periodically throughout the day. Repetition reaffirms and strengthens these beliefs within you.
A principle to remember is ‘The mind & the body forms one system. Whatever happens on the inside is reflected on the outside’. Start creating for yourself by making the 3 points stated above as a part of you, and in return, you will attract the success and results that you deserve.
NLP & Hypnotherapy Trainer (ABNLP & ABH), Director of JIT & Company (Singapore)
Copyright © 2014 by Jitrendra Purushothaman. All Rights Reserved