What I Learnt From My Evening With Brian Tracy

It's been 12 hours since I was in the same room as the legendary Brian Tracy, learning from him on what his thoughts are to being a successful international speaker and I am still in awe of the amount of wisdom he shared with all of us present from Asia Profesional Speaker Singapore (APSS).

As I was listening to Brian share his thoughts and ideas on what professional speakers like myself must do to be successful, I realised what he was sharing wasn't principles that only speakers could adopt, but they were principles any individual from any profession or business can apply if they want to be successful. 

What I'm going to share with you in this article are my key takeaways from my evening with Brian Tracy yesterday, and my hope is to either get you thinking of new ideas or to reinforce the ones you already have. As Brian shared, sometimes all it takes is an idea or concept to change your whole life.

My Key Takeaways:

  1. Your most valuable asset is your reputation. Your reputation is your brand and identity - it is how you want your clients to remember you.
     
  2. The 80-20 rule. Only 20% of people are successful in their profession or business because, the other 80% lack clarity over their brand and identity.
     
  3. Your quality of thinking will affect your quality of work which will then affect the quality of results you get. 
     
  4. Successful people:
    • Think long-term instead of short-term. 
    • Set goals regularly and create action plans to achieve these goals. 
    • Think on paper - meaning they write down every thought, idea, goal and plan because writing things down will engage both the conscious and unconscious mind while activating the law of attraction to work in their favour.
       
  5. You must learn how to move on from something that isn't working. Formulate a better way to do something if the initial way doesn't work. Brian's first law of horse riding: "Get off the horse if its dead."
     
  6. Activity is the key to success. Thoughts will never amount to anything unless you take action  to make it a reality. 
     
  7. The biggest obstacles to success are distractions. Learn to say 'No' to the things that aren't in-line with what you are trying to achieve. Ask yourself, "Is what I'm doing now moving me closer to what I want to achieve or is it derailing me?"
     
  8. Be committed to being successful.

 

The 5 Key Ideas To Focus On

  1. Clarity

    • What exactly is your value proposition? Can you express your value proposition between 12-15 words?
    • What you offer to people has got to be improvements because what people buy are improvements. 
    • Your prospects must be crystal clear about what improvements they are going to enjoy by using your product or service.
    • The greater the improvements, the more value your product or service will carry and the easier it will be for people to make a decision to buy.
       
  2. Credibility

    • Your clients want to know why they should listen to you? You must have an answer for this question.
    • Things that will contribute to your credibility include your background, your success, your experience, your publications, and your reputation.
    • People want to make sure they are making the right decision to choose you.
    • Everything counts! Everything that you do or don't do. Everything that you say or don't say.
       
  3. Professionalism

    • It only takes 4 seconds for people to make an impression or judgment of you.
    • Whether you like it or not, the people you come in contact with will make judgments based on your appearance. You do the same thing to others as well. We all do it.
    • Dress well and dress for the occasion because your appearance matters.
    • Dressing well will also increase your credibility.
    • Always be early.
    • Always be prepared. There's no such thing as being over-prepared.
    • Always be humble, friendly and positive.
    • Always do great work.
       
  4. Continuous Learning

    • Be an aggressive and life-long student.
    • Have a hunger for knowledge and be the recognised expert on your subject matter.
    • 80% of people level off after the first year of learning a new skill and thus find themselves being outdated or mediocre after a while.
       
  5. Network & Meet People

    • Your net worth is with the people that you know and the people that they know.
    • Make it a point to grow your network continually and to build meaningful relationships with people.
    • When meeting people, make it a habit of looking into how you can help them. Add value to them and their business by looking for opportunities to connect them with the people or resources that they may need. Be generous and be a giver.